Thursday, November 17, 2011

back to air cannons

I've wanted to get back to air cannons for a while, when I eventually am at home and have the resources there are two things I want to do.
First I have some 6" pvc that I've wanted make a cannon out of and a 1.5" dust collector valve I just want to build a big ass cannon maybe with a piston valve piloted by the dust collector valve. Why haven't I done this before? what will make me actually build it this time? well this time I plan to build it out of DWV fittings, for those of you who don't know that means is I'm going to use fitting not rated for air pressure. For a long time I was amoung the spudfiles.com forum members trying to spread awarness of DWV, many ametuer builders use DWV local hardware stores generally don't sell pressure rated fitting for pipes larger than 2". That's because there's no common use for such fittings. However ordering pressure rated fitting is really expensive so I've never bought the necessary fittings to use my 6" pvc pipe. I'm aware of the danger I'm just sick of not owing a giant cannon because being safe is too expensive.

next while I was on spudfiles I saw Jackssmirkingrevenge or JSR post this design:
from this thread I like the design a lot and I want to build something similar like a disposable AT-4 launcher tube that shoots a swarm of nerf darts, I'm split between two barrel types a single large barrel with hand full of darts between nerf balls or vortex disks like this, or a more common cluster of barrels which may yield a more narrow longer range spread

No comments:

Post a Comment